Get Involved with SSC
Join the Student Sustainability Committee
SSC is comprised of student, staff, and faculty members.
There are two types of student membership:
- Board Members
10-18 student board members are appointed through an application process managed by SSC and supervised by the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs at the end of each spring semester. These student board members take on various leadership roles within the committee in addition to casting votes toward funding decisions regarding student-initiated fees collected for the Cleaner Energy Technologies Fee and the Sustainable Campus Environment Fee.
- General Members (NEW)
General members are welcome to join SSC year-round. There are no restrictions on who can join SSC as a general member. All that is required is that you are a student at UIUC and have a passion for sustainability. General members can get as involved as they want with SSC operations outside of voting.
Join the SSC email list to receive updates and information on opportunities to get involved.
At least five ex officio staff members are selected by SSC. These members are expected to provide expertise for their role in the University:
- Representative from F&S for Engineering
- Representative from F&S for Sustainability
- Director of iSEE (or an Appointed Designee)
- Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Success and Engagement (or an Appointed Designee)
- Chair of the Illinois Student Government Committee on Environmental Sustainability
- Others as Needed
If you are interested in serving on the committee as a staff member, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Appointments occur at the end of each spring semester.
At least six faculty members are selected by SSC in consultation with the Director of iSEE and the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs. Faculty members provide support and/or interest in one of the following areas:
- Environmental and Sustainable Justice
- Green and Energy-Efficient Buildings
- Local Foods and Sustainable Agriculture
- Natural Ecosystems
- Renewable Energy
- Social Sustainability
- Student Engagement and Development
- Sustainability Education
- Sustainable Engineering
- Sustainable Planning and Sustainable Design
- Other Dimensions of Student Sustainability
If you are interested in serving on the committee as a faculty member, please email email@example.com. Appointments occur at the end of each spring semester.